Friday, October 5, 2012

.........LIKE A LEAF IN THE WIND!

STAR DATE, 5 OCT 12, 0700hrs.

    I titled this blog post 2 weeks ago.  I knew I needed to get started on blog but time and circumstances would not allow it.  Last week I wrote 6 words, and then last night it all came together.  I have more to say about God's magnificent plan for His children and body than time could ever permit.  SO HANG ON!  Get your self some koolaid and popcorn, get a diaper or liquid (urine) holding apparatus because you won't be able to stop reading until you are finished.

GOD IS GREAT!

    As you all know (because you are reading my blogs) I was involved in a Kurdish New Year festival called Newroz.  I meet the two leaders and oldest gentlemen there.  These men are well respected and honored by the younger men (the way it should be).  I observed this as we had planning and rehearsals meetings before the festival.

    One of the gentlemen (HABIB) contacted Z (Zrdhast from Syria) and asked about the American (me).  He said he wanted to visit and eat with Z and I.  Z had told me of their wishes to establish a humanitarian organization to care for people and help preserve the fleeting culture of the KURDS.  This was intriguing to me and begged for more knowledge of the Kurdish people.

    As time past we finally met with one of the men at his home.  In order to get there we had to walk thru a maze of corridors, pathways, backyards and front yards.  The entire surrounding was littered with trash and debris of all kinds, car parts you name it it was there.  Inside the home it was clean, cool and tidy.

    We talked as Z interpreted (Z knows 2 dialects of Arabic, French and English).  It is always awkward, only getting an overview and sense of conversation.  The man said there was something about me that he liked, as it turns out he could sense my heart, as I could HIS.  We respect each other with admiration for our differences and similarities.  As the interpretations came thru each of us would look at each other, smile in agreement with what had just been said by the other.

    The conversation began to move in the direction of the organization.  In order to have a business or organization in Qatar, one has to have a Qatari sponsor (or responsible party for association).  As the meeting progressed we found out he is a believer.  I am excited about this and I told him we need to pray about org. and Qatar sponsor.  I told him this has to be a special person that God picks.  I said this man that God picks may end up being a BAD man that God has provided for us to evangelize and/or care for.  We agreed to meet regularly and pray.  

    The next week Z arranged a meeting with the other man.  We meet this man late at night 11:30 after concluding prayer time with Z and F (Fouad from Morocco) at Z's house.  I was teaching them about Isa. 58.  Z, F and I meet once a week for prayer and fasting.  We have since stopped fasting as this is difficult for them as they have many new things to contemplate about "Christianity".  We continue to pray at least once a week and God is answering prayers as He sees fit.

   We had to drive 20 minutes or more out in the sticks or desert in this case.  We had a difficult time finding his home as Z has never been there.  He ends up meeting us out at the street, 3-4 blocks away from his home.  As we drove down a dirt (sand) road we came to a compound.  All residencies are built in compounds, having high walls gates and security staff as with Osama Bin Ladens death bed.  This concept must have been for protection in the past, but now days it seems to be a safe place.

    I noticed the walls were very white and clean, there are paved roads and sidewalks.  It is odd to have such a nice place in the midst of nothing.  Z gives the guard his ID (as is customary) as we enter the compound, it will be returned as we leave.

    This place is very different than other compounds I have been to.  It is rambler (single story) construction,  concrete pathways,  very clean, orderly, grass, people sitting and talking in various locations, people watering grass and hanging up laundry (all are men, young and old).  All eyes are on us as we walk thru the entire place to get to his room.  I always get a lot of attention in this private setting, because I am different (light skin and American).

    We take off our shoes and enter his home, two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bathroom.  The only furniture is a bed and 1-2" foam mats for seating in the living room connected to kitchen and bath.  We sit and have small talk, again I am in need of a interpreter.  F asked the man if he was Muslim and the man said he was.

    We are now talking about organization and I give him the same spill about what I see needs to be done.  He says he works with a Qatari woman that he feels would be the sponsor and asks my opinion on what I thought about having a female fill that role.  I told him if there is no man to do the job then she may be the person.  I suggested that perhaps God could use her as a goad to prod the man that may be reluctant to do it but God may have singled out for the position.  He laughed as we all did and then F asked him if we could pray, he agreed.  I prayed for us all and was elated in doing so.

    Here I am in a Muslim country, with a Moroccan convert, a Kurdish Muslim  and a Kurdish Christian praying for God's direction and will to be done thru this motley crew.

GOD IS WAY COOLER THAN WE CAN EVER IMAGINE AND HE DOES IT WITH STYLE!

    Z, F and I are supposed to met with Habib today for prayer at 1500hrs.

CHURCH
    
    Church is becoming both stressful and hopeful.  The leadership is concerned with my action at church.  I attend a service in which I do not know the language, I hang out with young people, they share the crazy things I say about God, the church and Christians.  I am doing the the same things we do at home in
our church, loving and obeying God as he presents a opportunity or situation.  

We are F.A.T people right?  FAITHFUL, AVAILABLE and TEACHABLE!

    I am told by F that Hany (Elder in the Arabic service) is concerned about me and believes I may be in rebellion and is confused why I would not be at the English service were I should be getting feed(spiritually). Ooh ya,  did I tell you F had to move in with Hany?  Fouad could not pay his rent so Hany let him move in.  God is so cool because I had talked to Z and F about the bodies responsibility to care and help people.  I told them the church needs to open the doors of the church building or start helping each other with basic needs, housing, work, food etc... the same things we do at home.  God is allowing this to mature the church.  
Z and F smokin a hooka?
     I arranged a meeting with Hany before a prayer service, in which he led and invited me to attend, I agreed.  We met in a cold stale room on folding chairs at the church.  He repeated to me what I had told him in one of our first encounters at church.  I had  told him of God leading me to Afghanistan, this is believed to be a stepping stone in that direction.  I wanted to network with like minded people, learn the culture and the language.  He said he was confused by me not worshiping with and receiving the word as presented in the English service (it would be easier to understand).  I responded with, I understand how this may look strange, a guy coming in and spending time with young guys and attending a service in which I only get 1/2-3/4 of what is said.  I told him I do not need music or words to worship God and I am not here to be feed I am here to encourage and strengthen.  This seems arrogant to him I believe.  He continues, you need to be under some authority so you can be corrected and guided if need be.  I told him I am in a home group under the leaders authority, as well as my pastor in America and that I am a assistant pastor at my church in America.  I said I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to stay connected and stay away from the trap of isolation, lead to sin and a falling away.  This is in part why I attend church and small group.  I have seen it many times before and that I very faithful.  I continue to tell him, I believe God is here right now and in control of all things.  I trust God is directing my path, he directed me to the Arabic service and it is paying off.  I am encouraging many of the people there and having them pray and fast.  He acknowledged these things and said he was not aware of my attending small group.  There was more, I am not able to remember what it was.  We will meet regularly in the future.  He is still bewildered.

  The day before Cliff posted his letter to My Brothers and Sisters of the Middle East and North Africa.  I had a lengthy conversation with Z on Skype.  Z is wanting to serve God with everything he has, he is having work problems, his family is in a war zone in Syria, car is falling apart and other issues.  Similar issue to what we all have at home and all around us.  Nothing new under the sun?  His family in Syria lives in a rural area which has been invaded with people fleeing the war.  Nobody is working, people are sleeping in the streets his family is doing what they can do to care for those in need.  His family members are Christians.  Z says in the midst of all in the trouble in Syria, he says there are hopeful things happening.  He says people are caring for one another and the Kurds are regrouping as a people out of necessity.
Z

  Sorry about the back story, but it is important that you know as much about their struggles as possible.  I only have words with which I can convey their life.

    Meanwhile, back at the ranch!  Z tells me he is not going back to church (this is out of frustration and little faith).  He sees the church not doing what they could and should be doing according to Jesus (sermon on the mount) and general hypocrisy as he sees it.  I tell him I understand the difficulties and challenges.  We have to talk with leadership and deal with issues and not ignore them.  If you do not he is going to be outside of Gods will.  We are to respect and honor authority and those God has placed in leadership.  I told Z I would talk with Hany.

    There is also another young man.... I believe his name is Elliot (from Syria?) that has conflict with the leadership as well.  This man from what I have gathered, has issues with some things the church does and is doing, I have no idea what these are.  F told me that Hany does not want us visiting with him as he is divisive and pious in his knowledge of the Word of God?  Hany has since said we could visit with him as Z had talked with Hany on this issue.  Z expressed we need to help him overcome this and not castigate him if there is no un-repentant sin.  I am putting this in my terms as Z is not able to.

     I have been getting the impression that this castigating may be common here and I believe is a un-Godly approach.  We should place hurdles of love in front of individuals to help them mature and not ostracize them.  This may sound odd coming from me, If you believe that, then you still do not know me.

    Back to the original story, while all of this is going on I see Cliff's letter on WMBF Facebook page.  Gods timing is perfect, I can present this letter to Hany and discuss it and other issues.  I want to discuss what we can do to help people like Z, Elliot and perhaps others that may not fit the churches road map to Christendom.

    This church like many others has a road map for approved believers.  Baptism, small group, Bible studies, seminary, tongues, prophecy, deaconesses, prophetess........you get the picture.  These things may or may not be purposeful or biblical in a servant and kingdom minded individual and may hinder their growth.  What I am trying to say is,  the church should be encouraging service to those dying around us physically and spiritually.  We know as we care for the hungry, naked, orphans, widows, prisoners, wanderers, etc.............. the bible training, theology (study of God), Christ-like love, faith and all, will be built on a FAITH in HIS word and the person of CHRIST.

    Ooh ya, I have a co-worker who was raised in the church and has become frustrated and disillusioned with the church.  I have been able to encourage him to keep plugging away.  He is only the 2nd person at work that I have told of my purpose in Qatar, the other is back in the states.  We have been mutually stimulated and encouraged.  He hung out with Z, F and Christian man from Greece (this is another neat story) last night and prayer walked thru a business district and ate dinner.


Matt (coworker) and Z

    The man from Greece (no work in Greece, as I am sure you have seen on the TV) is here to make money so he can continue to support his home in Greece.  As I understand it he cares for the needy in his home and has many Syrians that are unable to make it into Turkey for help.  I will continue with more information on him as I becomes available. 
Me and Ellis? (man from Greece)

    As you can see God is continuing to equip his body to care for others as the times draw closer to the beginning of the end.  The church is going to be under heavy persecution and have great needs.  Just as with Moses and the Israelite, He will be our GOD and He will sustain us as we obey and trust him for our needs.  Can you say manna and quail?

Then Peter said, "Silver or Gold I do not have, but what I have I give you.  In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."  Acts 3:6

known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything. 2 Cor. 6: 9,10

OOH YA, the TITLE of BLOG POST

LIKE A LEAF IN THE WIND:  We submit to the blowing of His wind.  We don't know what God is doing.  He is always doing something different and new.  Where we go, we don't know.  Where we will be, that is to be found out.  Who it will be is determined in His merciful plan.  How will it be, is in His divine scheme.

And Lastly,
“It just goes to show ya, it’s always something.  If it’s not one thing, it’s another.”
Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna SNL


PRAY FOR WISDOM, DIRECTION, GRACE AND MERCY!

STAR DATE, 5 OCT 12, 1205hrs. 


7 comments:

  1. UPDATE: NO MEETING WITH HABIB TONIGHT, but I am sure it will be soon! 1505hrs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice quote! I just watched her the other day.

    Great work! Smart and encouraging writing!

    We will be praying you and the boys this evening.

    Love ya.

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote her Rosann Rosannadanna quote as one of my note a few weeks ago. I believe the prison deal is going to be a no go. I talked to a Elder at church that does out reach here. He said they only let family visit and it is for 5 min. There are no Qatari's in prison just foreign workers. When they get out they get sent home. Me and him are searching for ways to get people serving. People continue to tell me how sensitive things are here in outreaches. We just need a natural deal like my teaching English or similar.

      Delete
  3. Did I ever tell the world I LOVE THIS MAN? well I do! Beaming with PRIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog Cousin. Thanks for taking the time to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is a double edged sword being here and away from the Fam. But all is good!

      Delete